Ever been in a situation where your water won’t shut off and is flowing uncontrollably? This situation is scary and causes automatic panic. So before the panic or scare, let’s locate your main water shut off to the house so you are prepared IF this day ever comes.
You’ll want to know where the lowest point in your home is. If you have a basement or crawlspace, let’s start there. Your shut off might be located on the interior wall that runs parallel to the street. Or, if you know where your water meter is located on the exterior of your house, the shut off is most likely located on the interior of that same wall.
If you do not have a basement, the water shut off could be located in the same room / closet as the water heater or furnace. Or, take the same approach as mentioned above by checking where your water meter is and go to the nearest point on the interior to that meter.
Another way to locate your water shut off is to pull out your home inspection report that you received before closing on your home, you will find the location on that report. (This is really for those who are either super organized or recently purchased their home and still have those handy)
So now you have the general location idea, let’s talk about what it looks like.
- Flo by Moen: Not all systems will have these. This is a smart water shut off device that can save you and your home.
- Pressure reducing valve (PRV): This device is put on the main water line to do exactly what its name says – reduces the water pressure coming into your home if it is extremely high.
- Main shut off: This is your main water shut off. Shuts off the water supply to the entire house.
- Hose connection: If you ever needed to rinse off that basement floor.
- Irrigation shut off: This shuts off the water supply to your irrigation system (if you have one) only. The water to your house is still on.
- Backflow device: Not all systems will have this but if you have an irrigation system you will have a device that resembles this. This device is to be tested yearly, if it is in use, by a backflow certified individual.
What does your water shut off look like? It can look different for all, here are some shots of our crew’s water shut offs.
The more you know the better you can protect your investment that you call home. If you have any questions or are not able to find your water shut off, give us a call at 816-765-4843.
Great work. Thanks for the info!